Here's an interesting article on an exhibit at the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum in New York. Most design work is done for the richest 10% of the world. That's who buys all those fancy cars and unnecessary iPod add ons. What about the other 90%?
A lot of designers are donating their time to non-profits and helping to solve problems in impoverished parts of the world. The picture at the top of this article is of a Q-Drum that lets people transport water in a rolling wheel instead of carrying it. Imagine the impact that could have on a family that has to walk miles for fresh water. Another invention is a straw that filters contaminated water and makes it drinkable. Or an amazing solar powered Microfilm Projector and Portable Library that lets remote areas teach adults at night after work and includes a whole easily transported library.
This is a great challenge to present to creative people. Have you ever thought about an idea for the other 90% of the world? It won't make you rich and it's not going to be coveted by teenagers, but it will change the world.